Friday, October 31, 2014

AT&T robber caught, five others arrested


By Josh Akeman

Fayetteville police have arrested the suspect in a Sep. 25 purse snatching at the AT&T store in the Fayette Pavilion.
Marquis Raphiel Jackson, 20, of Hampton was tracked down by the Southeast Regional Fugitive Task Force nearly two weeks after he had escaped on foot and evaded capture the day of the incident.
Five others were arrested in relation to the robbery: Patricia Jackson, 40, of Hampton for Misdemeanor Obstruction; Asheley Moses, 20, of Jonesboro for Party To A Crime of Robbery and Misdemeanor Theft by Receiving; Gavin Hussey, 20, of Jonesboro for Party To A Crime of Robbery; Morgan Green, 20, of Hampton for Party To A Crime of Robbery; Cassius Williams, 19, of Hampton for Misdemeanor Theft by Receiving.
Jackson is alleged to have walked up to the car of a 57 year old female customer in the AT&T parking lot, opened the passenger side door, and stolen a bag containing an Apple iPhone. He, and at least two of the other suspects charged, then fled the scene in a red Dodge Grand Caravan, but not before several witnesses saw them and made note of the license plate number. One customer even attempted to get the driver of the van to stop and return the stolen purse, according to Lt. Mike Whitlow.
Whitlow described the robbery as "brazen" because it occurred in broad daylight, around 2:38 p.m., and with a lot of people around.
Police canvassed the area and quickly found the van and another vehicle in front of the Home Depot in the Pavilion, and questioned two of Jackson's alleged accomplices, who identified him.
Jackson had abandoned his vehicle and fled by foot north of the Pavilion. Police soon received a call from a business on Roberts Road reporting a "suspicious person" that had arrived on foot asking to use the phone to obtain a ride.
Police responded and ordered Jackson to stop, but he fled on foot, leading to a chase in which he fled into a heavily wooded area.
Police continued to search for Jackson and occasionally spotted him, but he was never detained. At one point, Jackson was attempting to knock on doors in a trailer park and at some homes in an attempt to make a phone call, according to Whitlow. One homeowner was worried enough as Jackson attempted to get entry that he fired a gun in what Whitlow described as a "warning shot."
The search continued into the night, but was eventually abandoned as police shifted toward talking with Jackson's family and acquaintances.
Jackson is currently in the Fayette County jail facing charges of Robbery by Sudden Snatching and Felony Obstruction.


Other Local News

Be a Santa to a Senior this Christmas

Oddos\' Redwine Road property back on Fville council agenda

Peachtree City to vote on pay raises

Troubling recent trend of dogs found burned



Website design, maintenance and hosting by Sunbelt Web Solutions