He was only a third round draft pick and National Football League experts did not give him much of a chance of even making the football team. As a quarterback he had an average arm and below average mobility, at least according to most scouts and front office personnel of all the teams, except for the San Francisco 49ers’ Head Coach Bill Walsh.
In the early days after practice began the rookie didn’t do anything to refute the charges of “slow with an average arm.” While the experts climbed all over Walsh for not doing something to resolve the team’s quarterback situation the coach developed a wait and see perspective.
Coach Walsh’s confidence was rewarded when the regular season began and his rookie quarterback tore up the team’s opponents with his short passes and timing patterns that became known as the “West Coast offense.” Joe Montana is now in the NFL Hall of Fame as the greatest third round pick in NFL history.
A man was telling his friend about the time when the world had become so corrupt and immoral, people had become so degenerate and conditions had become so intolerable that St. Peter was alarmed. In talking things over with the archangel Gabriel St. Peter suggested they send another flood to earth and begin anew or even let the people destroy themselves with nuclear bombs.
Gabriel admitted that this might be necessary but he did suggest, “According to your own statement, Peter, only about 70% of the population are unregenerate sinners and the other 30% are righteous and trying hard to improve conditions.
Since this 30% are righteous and since they are right down in the thick of it all they might have some ideas that have not occurred to us. Why don’t you write to them and see what suggestions they might have,” Gabriel said.
St. Peter agreed this was a good idea and so he composed a letter that he sent to the righteous 30%. In telling the story a friend asked his listener, “What do you think St. Peter said in his letter?” After a moment hesitation the listener admitted, “I don’t know. What did he write?” “Oh, you didn’t get a letter?” his friend said.
A woman seeking counsel from Dr. George Crane a psychologist confided that she hated her husband and intended to divorce him. “I want to hurt him all that I can,” she said firmly.
“Well in that case I advise you to start showering him with compliments. When you have become indispensable to him, when he thinks you love him devotedly then start the divorce action. That is the way to hurt him the most,” Dr. Crane said.
Several months later the wife returned to report that all was going well and that she had followed the suggested course. “Good, now is the time to file for divorce,” Dr. Crane said. “Divorce, never I love my husband dearly,” the woman said.
Good salespeople are masters at negotiating with their clients but they may not do so well in their own homes with the real bosses, their spouses.
One salesman had received a big bonus shortly before going on vacation. When he got back his friends asked him what he did with the money. “Well, my wife wanted one of those giant screen television but I wanted a new car so we bought the television but we compromised and agreed to keep it in the garage,” the salesman said.
Tribble is the owner of this publication.